Summer Chilled Pea Veloute Recipe
Chilled Pea Velouté
Chef Jason loves to serve this dish on a hot summer day when peas are in peak season!
4 shallots, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1 knob of ginger, thinly sliced
½ fennel bulb, thinly sliced
5 cups freshly shucked and blanched peas or frozen peas
Leaves of basil, mint, coriander, tarragon, parsley, dill and chervil
4 cups vegetable stock
1 cup dry white wine
1. In a pan (low heat) sweat shallot, ginger, fennel and garlic until tender and translucent.
2. Deglaze with white wine and reduce by 2/3.
3. Add vegetable stock to just cover ingredients in the pan. At this time you can place a sachet of the herb stems to perfume the stock.
4. Simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Add fresh herb leaves and peas.
6. Remove from heat and puree in blender or food processor until smooth.
7. Pass through a fine strainer into a bowl and chill over ice.
Chef Jason Bangerter