Poached Chicken Recipe
Chef Jason provides an easy one pot meal that delivers. This is a perfect way to use up the last of some roots in the cellar and crisper. You just need a large stockpot or Dutch oven big enough to hold all the ingredients. Chef Jason uses a whole chicken but you could also use pieces.
1 chicken cut into quarters
3 large carrots
3 celery sticks
1 bulb garlic
2 cups loosely packed parsley
Handful of fresh thyme
3 bay leafs
- Place the chicken in a large pot of seasoned cold water.
- Bring to a simmer over high heat, skimming the fat and impurities that rise to the surface with a large spoon or ladle.
- Peel and chop the vegetables.
- Once the liquid is simmering, skimmed and crystal clear, add the prepared vegetables, peppercorn and herbs.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then cook on very low continuing to skim for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- Remove from the heat and allow the chicken to cool to room temperature in the broth. Once cool, remove the skin and bone from the chicken.
- Chef Jason separates the vegetable, meat and broth after for storing and for other uses.
- Cold poached chicken is fantastic for sandwiches, salads or just an easy afternoon snack! The recipe makes lots of delicious broth so he often freezes small bags for when recipes call for chicken stock.
- The broth is so good and packed with protein. The vegetables are delicious and great on their own or added to a pasta or omelette.